Gobbledygeek episode 429, “Geek Challenge: Wolf vs. The Insider,” is available for listening or download right here, on Spotify, and on Apple Podcasts.
In honor of the late Christopher Plummer, Paul and Arlo host a Geek Challenge with two films featuring one of Canada’s greatest. First, Paul has Arlo watch Mike Nichols’ 1994 horror (?) film Wolf, starring Jack Nicholson as a middle-aged book editor who finds the beast inside courtesy of a wolf bite (with a five-minute cameo from a scenery-chewing Plummer). Then, Arlo makes Paul watch Michael Mann’s 1999 ripped-from-the-headlines thriller The Insider, with Russell Crowe as a scientist taking on Big Tobacco, Al Pacino as the journalist trying to tell his story, and Plummer doing one hell of a job as Mike Wallace. Plus, Paul tries to get Arlo to watch Craig McCracken’s new animated series Kid Cosmic.
NEXT: the boys sharpen their fangs on a Four-Color Flashback discussion of the first two volumes of Scott Snyder, Stephen King, and Rafael Albuquerque’s American Vampire.
- 00:00:55 – Intro / Kid Cosmic
- 00:10:29 – Wolf
- 00:55:45 – The Insider
- 01:49:45 – Pointless tangent about the term “bucket list” (We’re sorry.)
- 01:52:54 – Outro / Next
- “Wolf Like Me” by TV On The Radio, Return to Cookie Mountain (2006)
- “Iguazu” by Gustavo Santoalalla, Ronroco (1998)
- Support Black Lives Matter and find anti-racism resources: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
- Help teachers and classrooms in need: https://www.donorschoose.org/
- Do your part to remove the burden of medical debt for individuals, families, and veterans: https://ripmedicaldebt.org/
- Register to vote: https://vote.gov/