Gobbledygeek episode 440, “FCF: Sweet Tooth,” is available for listening or download right here, on Spotify, and on Apple Podcasts.
Imagine a world where a global pandemic killed millions and changed society forever. Spooky stuff, huh? Well, take a break from reality with this month’s Four-Color Flashback: Sweet Tooth: The Deluxe Edition – Book One, comprising the first 12 issues of Jeff Lemire’s offbeat breakthrough about a little deer boy and the post-apocalyptic hell that awaits him in the wilds of Nebraska. Along the way, he meets a Frank Miller-style tough guy named Jepperd, who seems to be the grizzled protector to Gus’ naive innocent. It’s a little more complicated than that, of course. Paul and Arlo discuss Lemire’s weird, idiosyncratic artwork; the way he uses the faces and especially the eyes of his laconic characters to convey so much; and how the new Netflix adaptation is radically different.
NEXT: dust off that mail robot, it’s time for The Americans season 2 with British secret agent Wesley “Wezzo” Mead.
- 00:00:47 – Intro / Banter
- 00:19:38 – Sweet Tooth: The Deluxe Edition – Book One
- 01:37:00 – Outro / Next
- Sweet Tooth Filmmaker Jim Mickle on Reimagining the Apocalypse by Matthew Dessem, Slate
- Why Sweet Tooth Created a Friendlier Apocalypse by Alec Bojalad, Den of Geek
- “My Father’s House” by Bruce Springsteen, Nebraska (1982)
- “Out of the Woods” by Taylor Swift, 1989 (2014)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Support AAPI communities and those affected by anti-Asian violence: https://www.gofundme.com/c/act/stop-aapi-hate
- Support the AAPI Civic Engagement Fund: https://aapifund.org/
- Support Black Lives Matter and find anti-racism resources: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
- Advocate for writers who might be owed money due to discontinuance of royalties: https://www.writersmustbepaid.org/
- Help teachers and classrooms in need: https://www.donorschoose.org/
- Do your part to remove the burden of medical debt for individuals, families, and veterans: https://ripmedicaldebt.org/
- Register to vote: https://vote.gov/