Gobbledygeek episode 485, “The Blair Witch Project,” is available for listening or download right here, on Spotify, and on Apple Podcasts.
We all get lost, every now and then. Most of us don’t get quite as lost as the three film students at the center of The Blair Witch Project, a massive hit in 1999 whose reputation among the average moviegoer has also taken a massive hit. If you ask Arlo, though, it’s one of the greatest horror films ever made–and he tells Paul exactly why, as they celebrate the second and final week of this year’s abbreviated Gobbledyween. The boys discuss the incredibly convincing performances, why the characters being so annoying makes the movie so believable, how the found footage genre has expanded in the years since, and just how easy it is to get lost in America.
NEXT: why are you standing in the corner, Paul?
- 00:00:32 – Intro
- 00:02:34 – The Blair Witch Project
- 01:39:11 – Outro / Next
- “Gilligan’s Island” by Television’s Greatest Hits Band, Television’s Greatest Hits: Classic TV Theme Songs (2021)
- “Out of the Woods” by Taylor Swift, 1989 (2014)
- Abortion Funds in Every State: https://bit.ly/AbortionFundsTwitter
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Support AAPI communities and those affected by anti-Asian violence: https://www.gofundme.com/c/act/stop-aapi-hate
- Support the AAPI Civic Engagement Fund: https://aapifund.org/
- Support Black Lives Matter and find anti-racism resources: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
- The Trevor Project provides information and support to LGBTQ youth: thetrevorproject.org
- Trans Lifeline: https://translifeline.org/
- US (877) 565-8860
- Canada (877) 330-6366
- National Center for Transgender Equality: transequality.org
- Advocate for writers who might be owed money due to discontinuance of royalties: https://www.writersmustbepaid.org/
- Help teachers and classrooms in need: https://www.donorschoose.org/
- Do your part to remove the burden of medical debt for individuals, families, and veterans: https://ripmedicaldebt.org/
- Register to vote: https://vote.gov/