Gobbledygeek episode 445, “FCF: Sweet Tooth – The Return,” is available for listening or download right here, on Spotify, and on Apple Podcasts.
You can’t go home again. But you can return to the creator-owned post-apocalyptic fantasy saga that captivated comics readers for 40 twisted, beautiful issues. That’s exactly what Jeff Lemire did last year with Sweet Tooth: The Return, a sequel miniseries that takes place three whole centuries after the original Vertigo series’ ending. Considering that ending was perfect, does The Return need to exist? Paul and Arlo aren’t so sure. They discuss what The Return adds (or subtracts) from the greater narrative, the book’s alleged Twin Peaks influence, the story’s many “It’s like poetry, it rhymes” moments, and why you shouldn’t fuck around with elephants. Plus, they start things off by chatting about why Netflix’s Sweet Tooth is a great adaptation.
NEXT: Eric…Sipple? Does anyone know who this is? Why is he talking to us? Oh god.
- 00:00:50 – Intro
- 00:03:24 – Netflix Sweet Tooth adaptation
- 00:15:50 – Sweet Tooth: The Return
- 01:17:13 – Outro / Next
- “Living Underground” by Nico Vega, Nico Vega (2009)
- “The Elephant” by Pete Seeger, Birds, Beasts, Bugs & Fishes (Little & Big) (1998)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Support AAPI communities and those affected by anti-Asian violence: https://www.gofundme.com/c/act/stop-aapi-hate
- Support the AAPI Civic Engagement Fund: https://aapifund.org/
- Support Black Lives Matter and find anti-racism resources: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
- Advocate for writers who might be owed money due to discontinuance of royalties: https://www.writersmustbepaid.org/
- Help teachers and classrooms in need: https://www.donorschoose.org/
- Do your part to remove the burden of medical debt for individuals, families, and veterans: https://ripmedicaldebt.org/
- Register to vote: https://vote.gov/