Gobbledygeek episode 468, “Geek Challenge: Lady Bird vs. Ladyhawke,” is available for listening or download right here, on Spotify, and on Apple Podcasts.
It’s Ladies’ Night on Gobbledygeek! By which we mean we’ve got a Geek Challenge featuring Richard Donner’s 1985 medieval fantasy epic Ladyhawke and Greta Gerwig’s 2017 millennial coming-of-age tale Lady Bird. What do these two films have in common? They’re both about transformation, of course! In Lady Bird, Saoirse Ronan transforms into a young woman ready to take on the big city; in Ladyhawke, Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer quite literally transform into a wolf and a hawk, respectively. Paul struggles with passive aggressive family drama, Arlo is annoyed by Matthew Broderick, and they both remember what it was like to be 15.
NEXT: this month’s Four-Color Flashback contemplates mortality with a dive into Ram V and Filipe Andrade’s The Many Deaths of Laila Starr.
- 00:00:45 – Intro
- 00:10:54 – Lady Bird
- 01:04:04 – Ladyhawke
- 01:57:04 – Outro / Next
- “Is ‘Ladyhawke’ the Best Fairytale of Them All?” by Leah Schnelbach, Tor.com
- “Main Title” by Andrew Powell & Philharmonia Orchestra, Ladyhawke (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (1985)
- “Crash Into Me” by Dave Matthews Band, Crash (1996)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Support AAPI communities and those affected by anti-Asian violence: https://www.gofundme.com/c/act/stop-aapi-hate
- Support the AAPI Civic Engagement Fund: https://aapifund.org/
- Support Black Lives Matter and find anti-racism resources: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
- The Trevor Project provides information and support to LGBTQ youth: thetrevorproject.org
- Trans Lifeline: https://translifeline.org/
- US (877) 565-8860
- Canada (877) 330-6366
- National Center for Transgender Equality: transequality.org
- Advocate for writers who might be owed money due to discontinuance of royalties: https://www.writersmustbepaid.org/
- Help teachers and classrooms in need: https://www.donorschoose.org/
- Do your part to remove the burden of medical debt for individuals, families, and veterans: https://ripmedicaldebt.org/
- Register to vote: https://vote.gov/